The Senior Center of Finney County is
committed to providing services, information,
education and recreation for seniors, families
and caregivers in Finney County. The Senior
Center responds to a growing senior population
with expanding and changing needs. We
envision a caring and healthy community which
encourages intergenerational relationships,
recognizes the wisdom and experience of its
elders and demonstrates awareness and
respect for the aging process.
The purpose of this organization is:
- To study the needs of the elderly throughout the county and take necessary action to meet those needs.
- To encourage, promote and aid in the establishment of all programs and services for Senior Citizens.
- To be the designated county unit for handling programs of the State and Federal Government relating to
Senior Citizens within Finney County.
The Senior Center of Finney County is funded by Finney County, Southwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging,
Kansas Department of Aging, Kansas Department of Transportation, Finnup Foundation, Mary Jo Williams
Charitable Trust , City of Garden City, United Way and private donations from local businesses and friends.
|Barbara Jensen, Executive Director
907 North Tenth
Garden City, Kansas 67846
Phone: (620) 272 - 3620
Finney County Committee on Aging, Inc.
Kansas Department of Transportation
Southwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging
Kansas Department on Aging
City of Garden City
Finney County United Way
|Web Design & Maintenance
Provided by Marci Cole
Contact Marci: EMAIL
© 2007-2013 Senior Center of Finney County
Senior Center Computer Lab:
The Computer Lab is open to the 55+ public
from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Intro to computer classes begin on Tuesday,
September 3rd and continue on Tuesdays
and Thursdays from 9 to 10:30am. Classes
will cover computer basics, internet, email and
basic programs. Space is limited. Registration
is REQUIRED due to limited computers. Call
(620) 272-3620 to sign up early.
We have added SIX New Computers, thanks to Western Kansas Community Foundation.
Classes will be offered in the Fall.
- ASSISTANCE: Times are tough and money is tight. Do you know of someone that needs to make their
food dollars stretch? Call Brooke at Catholic Social Service, find out if the food assistance program can help.
- Winter Weather: When the snow flies, stay home. The policy at the Senior Center and Finney County
Transit is when USD 457 closes for bad weather, we are closed too. Watch the TV or listen to the radio for
details. Meals on Wheels and Friendship Meals customers will receive blizzard packs with enough food to last
two days. Don’t risk a slip and fall. Stay home and be safe.
- GIVING TREE: The theme of our kitchen shower this year is the 'giving tree'. Look for the tree with fall
themed ornaments. On the back of each ornament is a supply that is not provided by Elder Care Friendship
Meals. We invite everyone to pick up an ornament and donate the supply listed on the back. For example,
there will be 6 ornaments that have ranch dressing listed. More than one ornament can be removed, the item
purchased and then brought in with the ornament. Thank you for all your help.
- BINGO! Nov 19th & Dec 19th at 1:30 pm.. $.50 per card.. Limit 6 cards.
- Services from St. Catherine Hospital: Flu shots will not be available at the Senior Center this
year. Health Screenings - A nurse is available Fridays from 10:30 to 11:30am.
- Completely Unraveled: Join this group of ladies who gather the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays to sew, quilt,
crochet, knit or other craft projects. No dues, no committees, just a good time. We are looking for “Quilt
Angels” to look over quilts entered at the fair.
- Want to Get Involved?: Volunteer opportunities are available at the Senior Center. We need people
to help answer the phone. We need a volunteer to teach a class. Meals on Wheels delivery driver. Volunteer
once a month or once a week—you choose. Call RSVP at 620-275-5566 for more information. Get started
and get involved!
- Building Rental: The Senior Center is available for rent on weekends and some week nights. Rental
fees are $40 per hour ($20 if for senior citizen, restrictions apply). We require rent in advance as well as a
$200damage deposit. Damage deposit is returned after the event assuming there is no damage. Consider
the Senior Center for your graduation party, wedding reception, family reunion, class reunion, etc. For more
information, contact Barbara at 620-272-3620.
- Medicare Part D: Appointments are being taken for open enrollment. Enrollment begins Tuesday,
October 15th and runs until December 7th. Appointments are required. Call 620-272-3620 to schedule a visit
with a Senior Health Insurance Counselor of Kansas (SHICK). Bring your list of prescriptions and Medicare
- Made Possible By: Garden City Community College, City of Garden City, Commerce Bank, Finney
County, Bob Stubblefield and Garden City Information Technologies Corporation, Inc.
|Exercises - 8:30am Mondays
Line Dancing - 8:30 am Wednesdays and Fridays
Double Pinochle - Mondays at 12:30 pm
Pitch - Tuesdays at 12:30 pm
Pinochle - Wednesdays at 12:30 pm
Bridge - Fridays at 12:45 pm
Duplicate Bridge - Mondays at 7:00 pm and 2nd, 3rd
and 4th Sundays at 2:00 pm
The Finney County Senior Citizens Association, known as the Association, is the organization
that worked to get the Senior Center established. They purchased the first Mini Bus for Finney
County and established Meals on Wheels 40 years ago. The Association is still active today.
They sponsor the weekly dances held at the Senior Center, host a monthly covered dish dinner,
and sponsor an annual bazaar as a fund-raiser. Now is a great time to join the Association as
plans are being made for the Bazaar held in October. Everyone age 55+ in Finney County is
welcome. Membership dues are only $3 per year. Covered dish dinners are held the first Friday
of each month at 6:00 pm. The entertainment for July 6th is the Humdinger Band. August 3rd
entertainment is “Too Many Strings”. Join us for fun, fellowship and great food.
|Monthly Domino Tournaments are scheduled for Thurs, November 7th & December 5th.
Tournaments begin at 1:00 pm. $1 per player. Snooker Tournament is scheduled for Thursday,
December 19th at 1:00 pm. $2 per player. Prizes! Join the fun!
|If you haven’t gotten your 2013 Paratransit Card so you can ride the Mini Bus,
call the Transit Office at 620-272-3626. Do not delay.
|Game Nights & Supper
Board games and supper: Thursdays, November 7th and December 12th.
$2 per person. Games begin at 4:30 with a break for supper.
Sponsored Lunches (Tickets are required)
at 11:30. Music from the High Plains Home School students.
- Thanksgiving Luncheon: Thursday, November 21st
Tickets available now.
Christmas Luncheon tickets will be available after November 22nd.
- Christmas Luncheon: Thursday, December 19th at noon. Provided by Commerce Bank.
Pick up your ticket at the Senior Center office. Bring a canned good for Emmaus House.
Thurs, Dec 19th following lunch. Bingo at 1:30 pm at the lunch tables.
$.50 per card. Limit of 6 cards.
- Consider working as a receptionist at the Senior Center.
Shifts run from 9-1 pm or 1-4 pm. Answer phone, greet
people, direct traffic, answer questions.
- Help is always needed for special events. Set tables, sell
tickets, sign in customers.
- How about delivering Meals on Wheels to
homebound seniors? Deliveries are from
11:15 to 12:30 pm.
- For more information, call Barbara at
|Seniors ask frequently if they have to change their drug plan? The answer is a qualified “no.” No,
because if you are satisfied with your coverage and the changes for 2014, you don’t have to change.
HOWEVER, many of the plans have changed substantially for 2014. Premiums have increased and
payments for prescriptions have changed. At the Senior Center we encourage everyone to review their
plan annually. Open enrollment for Medicare Part D began on October 15th. Change opportunities will
end on Friday, December 6th. Once again this year the Senior Center has counselors available to help
with this process. If your prescription drug plan has changed—the premium has increased too much to
suit you, your prescriptions have changed or your plan has been eliminated, now is the time to
consider a different plan. Call 272-3620 to make an appointment to visit with a trained Senior Health
Insurance Counselors of Kansas (SHICK) Counselor. A SHICK counselor can give suggestions but the
final decision will belong to you. Appointments are required. Call 272-3620.
Don’t get caught with a plan to isn’t best for you.
The Senior Center and Finney County Transit will be closed in November and
December for various holidays. Please be aware....
- Monday, November 11th - Closed for Veteran’s Day Holiday
- Wednesday, November 27st - Close at 1:00 pm
- Thursday and Friday, November 28th and 29th - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Tuesday, December 24th - close at 1:00 pm.
- Wednesday & Thursday, December 25th and 26th - Christmas Holiday
- Tuesday, December 31st - close at 1:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 1st - New Years Day closed
- Special arrangements are being made for Meals on Wheels. Consult your
MOW menu for details.
.. to all the fine people who donated their time, talents and resources to the 47th Annual Finney County Senior Citizens
Association Bazaar. The day was a success thanks to the many people who helped. 2014 memberships are available
for the low, low price of $3 per year. Join the Association and support senior activities in Finney County.