The Senior Center of Finney County is
committed to providing services, information,
education and recreation for seniors, families
and caregivers in Finney County. The Senior
Center responds to a growing senior population
with expanding and changing needs. We
envision a caring and healthy community which
encourages intergenerational relationships,
recognizes the wisdom and experience of its
elders and demonstrates awareness and
respect for the aging process.
The purpose of this organization is:
- To study the needs of the elderly throughout the county and take necessary action to meet those needs.
- To encourage, promote and aid in the establishment of all programs and services for Senior Citizens.
- To be the designated county unit for handling programs of the State and Federal Government relating to
Senior Citizens within Finney County.
The Senior Center of Finney County is funded by Finney County, Southwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging,
Kansas Department of Aging, Kansas Department of Transportation, Finnup Foundation, Mary Jo Williams
Charitable Trust , City of Garden City, United Way and private donations from local businesses and friends.
The much anticipated Finney County Transit (FIT)
Center and additional parking lots are complete
with the new building dedication on April 3rd, 2009
at 1:00 pm. The FIT Center is located at 1008 N.
11th across the alley from the Senior Center. The
Meals on Wheels and Friendship Meals Program
have moved into their remodeled offices in the old
transportation department offices in the Senior
Center. Stop by the Senior Center and the Transit
Center sometime to see our new offices.
|Barbara Jensen, Executive Director
907 North Tenth
Garden City, Kansas 67846
Phone: (620) 272 - 3620
Finney County Committee on Aging, Inc.
Kansas Department of Transportation
Southwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging
Kansas Department on Aging
City of Garden City
Finney County United Way
|Web Design & Maintenance
Provided by Marci Cole
Contact Marci: EMAIL
© 2007-2012 Senior Center of Finney County
Senior Center Computer Lab:
The Computer Lab is open to the 55+ public
from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
- ASSISTANCE: Times are tough and money is tight. Do you know of someone that needs to make their
food dollars stretch? Call Brooke at Catholic Social Service, find out if the food assistance program can help.
- TRANSIT News: The Senior Center and Finney County Transit will be closed on Monday, May 27th for
the Memorial Day holiday. Services resume Tuesday, May 28th at the regular time.
- BINGO! Tuesdays May 28th & June 25th at 1:30 pm.. $.50 per card.. Limit 6 cards.
- Services from St. Catherine Hospital: Flu shots will not be available at the Senior Center this
year. Health Screenings - A nurse is available Fridays from 10:30 to 11:30am.
- Completely Unraveled: Join this group of ladies who gather the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays to sew, quilt,
crochet, knit or other craft projects. No dues, no committees, just a good time. We are looking for “Quilt Angels”
to look over quilts entered at the fair.
- Humdinger Band Final Concert and Reception: Thursday, May 2nd at 3:00pm.
- Want to Get Involved?: Volunteer opportunities are available at the Senior Center. We need people to
help answer the phone. We need a volunteer to teach a class. Meals on Wheels delivery driver. Volunteer once
a month or once a week—you choose. Call RSVP at 620-275-5566 for more information. Get started and get
- Mother’s Day Picture Bingo & Tea: Thursday, May 9th 2:00 pm Games, prizes and refreshments.
- Building Rental: The Senior Center is available for rent on weekends and some week nights. Rental fees
are $40 per hour ($20 if for senior citizen, restrictions apply). We require rent in advance as well as a
$200damage deposit. Damage deposit is returned after the event assuming there is no damage. Consider the
Senior Center for your graduation party, wedding reception, family reunion, class reunion, etc. For more
information, contact Barbara at 620-272-3620.
- Legacy Senior Services: Are you a caregiver? Could you use a break from the responsibilities?
Legacy Senior Services is here to help you. Located at 510 West Kansas Avenue, they provide care week
days on a regular basis or as needed. Call Stephanie Metheny at 277-7112 for more information.
- Made Possible By: Garden City Community
College, City of Garden City, Commerce Bank,
Finney County, Bob Stubblefield and Garden
City Information Technologies Corporation, Inc.
|Exercises - 8:30am Mondays
Line Dancing - 8:30 am Wednesdays and Fridays
Double Pinochle - Mondays at 12:30 pm
Pitch - Tuesdays at 12:30 pm
Pinochle - Wednesdays at 12:30 pm
Bridge - Fridays at 12:45 pm
Duplicate Bridge - Mondays at 7:00 pm and 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays at 2:00 pm
The Finney County Senior Citizens Association, known as the Association, is the organization
that worked to get the Senior Center established. They purchased the first Mini Bus for Finney
County and established Meals on Wheels 40 years ago. The Association is still active today.
They sponsor the weekly dances held at the Senior Center, host a monthly covered dish dinner,
and sponsor an annual bazaar as a fund-raiser. Now is a great time to join the Association as
plans are being made for the Bazaar held in October. Everyone age 55+ in Finney County is
welcome. Membership dues are only $3 per year. Covered dish dinners are held the first Friday
of each month at 6:00 pm. The entertainment for July 6th is the Humdinger Band. August 3rd
entertainment is “Too Many Strings”. Join us for fun, fellowship and great food.
|Thursday, June 20th
Dinner & Entertainment
$7 per person
|A Snooker Tournament is scheduled for Thursday, June 27th at 1:00 pm. $2 per player.
Join the fun!Monthly Domino Tournaments are scheduled for Thurs, May 2nd & June 6th.
Tournaments begin at 1:00. $1 per player.
|If you haven’t gotten your 2013 Paratransit Card so you can ride the Mini Bus,
call the Transit Office at 620-272-3626. Do not delay.
| We are honoring the memory of our friend J D Brewer. J D had a special place in his heart for
Meals on Wheels. Instead of a poker run this year we are planning a ride-less run. Join us
on Saturday, June 1st from 9:00 – 11:00am to visit with J D’s family.
Or make a tax-deductible donation to Meals on Wheels in his honor.
All funds directly benefit Meals on Wheels customers.
|Finney County Transit is offering a summer program for youth 16
and younger to ride free on all Finney County Transit Buses. It will
run from May 24 thru Aug 23. Kids 10 and under need to be
accompanied by someone age 16 or older. There is no
registration required. Youth can get on/off at any City Link bus
stop between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Consider working as a receptionist at the Senior Center.
Shifts run from 9-1 pm or 1-4 pm. Answer phone, greet
people, direct traffic, answer questions.
- Help is always needed for special events. Set tables, sell
tickets, sign in customers.
- How about delivering Meals on Wheels to
homebound seniors? Deliveries are from
11:15 to 12:30 pm.
- For more information, call Barbara at